Avelo Airlines is bringing commercial flights to Salem Airport in October, city officials announced Thursday.
The news comes after months of mystery surrounding which flights Salem residents could soon be able to book after going more than a decade without commercial air service.
The airline with start off with flights to the Hollywood Burbank Airport in the Los Angeles area and to Las Vegas.
Introductory one-way fares start at $39. Customers can make reservations at AveloAir.com.
Avelo Airlines is an ultra-low-cost carrier headquartered in Houston. It currently serves 45 destinations in 24 states, including the Eugene Airport.
Avelo will operate twice-weekly, nonstop service on Thursdays and Sundays between Salem and Las Vegas beginning Oct. 5. Twice-weekly nonstop service on Fridays and Mondays between Salem and Burbank begins on Oct. 6. This route will then adjust to Thursdays and Sundays on Nov. 2. Both routes will utilize Boeing Next-Generation 737 aircraft.
Several ways to buy cheap airline tickets.
- Start searching at least 2 months in advance and sign up for email alerts so you'll always be notified when flight prices drop.
- Budget airlines typically offer the cheapest flights.
- Save money by taking your flight early in the morning or late at night.
- Consider flying on a weekday instead of a weekend.
- Use an aggregator site to compare prices across airlines.
- Once you have found the best trip, select it on the aggregator site and move to the airline’s direct website to book your tickets. Some aggregators allow you to book the ticket through their website, but there may be an additional service fee.